When I was in high school I had absolutely no clue as to what I wanted to major in. I remember that I wanted to be anything but an Art Teacher. (My mom was an art teacher, my grandmother was a teacher, and I wanted to be different.)
I was clueless.
My freshman year of college I was doing my general education classes, U.S History, Speech, Biology, etc and did not have an art class for the first time... I missed it... . Also in between my Freshman and Sophomore year of college I worked at a summer camp and realized that I really enjoy working with students. My sophomore year I started taking some art classes in addition to my core classes and realized that art was a part of me.
I came to the realization that I could put both of these things that I was passionate about together and that just because my mom was an art teacher did not mean that I was following in her footsteps but that it could also mean that I could decide that this was a career I wanted for myself. :) As I continued college, I realized just how many careers in art are out there. Art comes in so many forms and it is such a part of our culture, often in unnoticed and unrecognized ways.
There are so many options out there we can’t cover them all in a year. But I want you to explore the field of art. Blog requirements:
- Write down 5 different fine arts careers
- Describe each profession and give a rough estimate of the salary provided
- Which of those careers could you maybe see yourself doing?
- If you had to choose today, what would your major be and why?
- Look up one College that has one of these careers and list what they require for an art portfolio/ for admission- just to get you thinking about the places you may be applying soon!
Cool site with lots of art career options: